Megite, a real time news & blog aggregation service, has tweaked their blog news ranking technology with the following ‘2.1’ updates:
1. A more aggressive clustering algorithm is introduced and users should see more related information for a big news item.
2. Broad the coverage and users can see rich information in the context of a news item. Before you may only see one or two related items, now you can see tens or even more than hundred related items either from A listers or not so famous bloggers.
3. Ranking algorithm considers the number of related items. The more related items, the more popular a news may be.
4. UI tweak. The category menus are moved into the top just under Megite logo. A quick headline browsing menu is introduced to help users quickly peek what are important now without scrolling.
5. Crawler is enhanced with better scheduling and bandwidth usage.
For more information on Megite, please see my interview with their co-founder, Matthew Chen.