Last week SEOmoz announced the launch of their new backlink checking tool Linkscape and I felt I couldn’t help (briefly) reviewing it at our (already traditional) SEJ toolbox series. So…
What’s so unique about the tool?
- It has its own index (currently 30 billion pages; updated every 25 days);
- It introduces the array of new SEO metrics giving you the opportunity to take a closer look at your (competitor’s) link profile and even get an idea of possible search algorithm:
- Internal and external link counts (juice-passing links to the page);
- MozRank (mR) – 10-point measure of global query-independent link authority or popularity;
- External mozRank;
- Domain-Level mozRank (DmR);
- Domain Juice (DJ) – the sum of mozRanks for all URLs in a domain;
- External Domain Juice;
- MozTrust (mT) – see also my recent post on Trust vs Authority.
- compare pages and domains side-by-side;
- plenty of sorting and filtering options for each report;
- export to CSV;
- save reviews for further reference;
- anchor text search within the backlink results;
- see 301s and 302s, shared/same IP blocks, pages with NoIndex meta tag; links from noscript; image links, etc
- Basic / free report includes domain and URL backlink data overview based on the above metrics:
- Advanced report:
- Dashboard contains the link data overview; 5 most powerful pages linking in (based on the metrics) and 5 most common anchor texts;
- “Links to URL” / “Links to Domain” lists bakclinks in order of importance. Plus it gives important data for each linking page and domain (its mozRank, mozTrust and estimated link juice passed);
- “URL anchor text” / “Domain anchor text” lists most frequent (important) external anchor texts. Of course, you can click on each one and get the list of linking pages that use it. Note: you can sort the list and see your most powerful anchor text (the one that passes “most mozRank”).
- the basic report is free;
- SEOmoz PRO members ($79/month) are given 20 credits (1 credit = 1 advanced report); the credits will be renewed regularly, I guess.
More on backlink checking:
- Majestic SEO: advanced backlink analysis tool;
- Using Yahoo! advanced operators for advanced backlink check;
- Explore your competitors’ backlinks beyond Yahoo Site Explorer.
(Please see SEJ tool review disclosure.)