Twitter released their earnings report for the the first quarter of 2014, which shows positive growth in just about every area. In fact, the numbers exceeded Wall Street estimates everywhere except the one area where they continue to struggle, and that is in gaining monthly active users.
Despite not beating Wall Street estimates, Twitter’s monthly active users did grow by 14 million since Q4 2013, reaching a total number of 255 million. Twitter gained substantially more monthly active users this past quarter compared to Q4 2013, where they gained only 9 million.
Twitter failed to exceed Wall Street estimates in Q4 2013 when it came to gains in monthly active users, and as a result their stock price dropped. Will Wall Street be satisfied with the gains in Q1 2014? Time will tell, but for us marketers it’s comforting to know the number of monthly active users is growing from quarter to quarter.
- Twitter’s earnings report also shows that revenue for Q1 2014 was $250 million, which beat analyst expectations of $241.47 million. This is an increase of 119% year-over-year.
- Mobile MAUs reached 198 million in Q1 2014, an increase of 31% year-over-year, representing 78% of total MAUs.
- Timeline views reached 157 billion for the first quarter of 2014, an increase of 15% year-over-year.
Twitter Highlights For Q1 2014
What did Twitter do differently this past quarter that contributed to their growth? Here are some of the major highlights:
- Twitter continued to improve the experience for users new and old by enhancing push notifications, simplifying the signup process for Android users, and allowing users to link their mobile address book with their Twitter accounts to find people they know on Twitter more quickly.
- Twitter expanded its global media partnerships with Kantar, GfK and Nielsen to bring Twitter TV measurement to even more regions of the world including Europe, Australia, and parts of Africa and Southeast Asia.
- Twitter launched improved tools for advertisers, allowing them to create tailored audiences from email lists and CRM databases, target TV conversations for Spanish-language television, and connect with users through Promoted Accounts in search.
For more details about Twitter’s performance in Q1 2014 please see the full report.
Subscribe to SEJ
Get our daily newsletter from SEJ's Founder Loren Baker about the latest news in the industry!