As part of our SEJ interview series, Ann Smarty of Internet Marketing Ninjas joins us to share some advice on how to grow a community.
Ann manages many large and influential communities across the web, such as the community at Internet Marketing Ninjas and MyBlogGuest.
Ann shared with us the key to growing a community. Hear her advice in the video below:
Here are some key takeaways from the video:
- The most important thing, Anne says, is to find the core of your community. These are the people who will be loyal members and ultimately help you promote the community.
- This doesn’t need to be a group of hundreds of people, even 5 core members makes a difference. You can’t grow a community on your own, so you need these people.
- People need incentives to promote your community, so Anne suggests to incentivize them with the opportunity for self-promotion.
- The idea with having a core community group is that you all help each other. They help you promote your brand, and you help them promote their personal brand.
- When building your core group, don’t necessarily target people who are already well established. Pick people that you can help to grow as they help you grow.
- If you help other people become experts and influencers they will be eternally grateful and speak highly of your brand for years to come.
Please visit SEJ’s YouTube page for more video interviews.