As part of our SEJ interview series, I recently caught up with John Gagnon of Bing Ads to discuss advanced metrics and what you should look for in terms of performance on your next campaign.
In the video below, John points out what metrics you should be looking at that they might not know about, and what kinds of things you should be measuring in your next campaign.
Here are some key takeaways from the video:
- It doesn’t matter if it’s Bing Ads or AdWords, John says, the advanced metrics that people don’t pay as much attention to as they should are things like impressions share. When you look at that report it can be kind of scary, but when you break it down and look for things like bid, budget, and rank, you will know how to implement the tactics that will get you more traffic and more volume.
- What specific metrics should you be paying attention to within impressions share? John says the great thing about the impressions share report is that it breaks everything down and tells you why you’re missing out.
- The biggest reason you’re missing out is probably because of a metric called ‘lost to bid’. That means you’re not meeting the minimum threshold for the bid. Try increasing your bid to get put in more auctions.
- John suggests looking at keyword relevance, which seems crazy but actually has a direct effect on your click-through rate. So work on your ad copy there.
- The last metric John thinks is really important is ‘rank’. If you’re losing out to rank it means you have passed bid, you’ve passed landing page relevance, and you have enough budget in place. Everything else is good, so just work on rank and you’ll be showing in no time.
For more video interviews please visit SEJ’s YouTube page.