In the latest instalment of the Ask Google Webmasters video series, John Mueller goes over a series of tips on optimizing images for search results.
Before going over the technical details of image optimization, Mueller asks site owners to take a step back and look at the bigger picture. Don’t optimize images just for the sake of optimizing them.
Mueller recommends starting off with a plan. Consider how you want to be found in image search results and the types of queries people might use in order to find you that way.
Once you have that nailed down, think about how your site can be useful to people who find it after searching for your images. After planning how you’re going to optimize images for searchers, you can move onto optimizing for the search engine itself.
When it comes to technical optimization of images, Mueller lists these as the most important details:
- High quality images (See: 11 Important Image SEO Tips You Need to Know)
- Relevant and visible placement (See: Google Publishes Image Search SEO Tips)
- Captions (See: Google Overhauls Image Search Results on Desktop)
- Descriptive page titles and alt text (See: How Important Are Tags for SEO?)
- Descriptive file names (See: Image Alt Text vs. Title Text vs. File Names: What’s the Difference?)
- Loading speed (See: 3 Image Optimization Tips for Faster Speeds & Higher Rankings)
See the full video with Google’s John Mueller down below: