This is the wrap-up of the most popular posts and announcements on SEJ over the previous week. Newsletter subscribers are the first to receive this and other updates.
No Sponsored Content on Facebook, Unless You Have a Verified Page
Facebook recently made some updates to its branded content policies, which we previously covered, but we wanted to clear up some confusion and make one thing very clear. You need to have a verified Facebook Page in order to post branded content. Verified pages are those pages with the blue badge.
If you do not have a blue badge on your page, you cannot post branded content. The new changes to the branded content guidelines are as simple as that; though we realize many will not be pleased with this change. Read more about it in this week’s top news post.
How Does RankBrain Affect SEO in 2016?
Google RankBrain, confirmed as the third most important factor in the ranking algorithm, has now been in play for approximately six months, as it was announced in October 2015. The question is no longer what is RankBrain, but rather, how it has affected SEO strategy in 2016.
In this post, SEJ contributor Aleh Barysevich looks at the reasons why Google would tell the world about the third most important factor in its ranking algorithm. He also looks at how SEOs should use this information in their SEO strategy, and a few basic, free tools you can use to get inside RankBrain’s “brain.” Read the full post here.
Popular Search Marketing Posts
Here is a rundown of the most popular posts on SEJ from last week:
- No Sponsored Content on Facebook Unless You Have a Verified Page, by Matt Southern
- How Does Google RankBrain Affect SEO in 2016?, by Aleh Barysevich
- Take a Trip With Google Using its New Travel App, by Matt Southern
- How to Find Snapchat Usernames, by Kelsey Jones
- How Facebook Messenger Changes Social Customer Service, by Michael Georgiou / [AD] Announcing EcomDay 2016: The Virtual E-Commerce Conference for Online Marketers
- Anchor: The New Kid on the Social Media Block, by Mindy Weinstein
- Optimize Your Link Building Conversions, by Neil Patel
- 15 Search Marketing Podcasts You Need to Listen To, by Erin Robbins O’Brien
- To Convert or Not Convert to AMP?, by Amanda DiSilvestro
- Why the Right Images Are So Important For Your Blog, by Marieke van de Rakt
Download This Week’s Episode of Marketing Nerds
In this week’s episode of Marketing Nerds, Brent Csutoras is joined by Joost de Valk (aka Yoast), founder and CEO of Yoast.com, creator of Yoast SEO for WordPress. He and Brent talk a bit about the early days of Yoast SEO for WordPress (formerly WordPress SEO), whether webmasters have to do less to optimize for SEO with today’s web solutions, and SEO in general.
Featured Image: Image by Paulo Bobita
In-post Photo #1: Image by Matt Southern
In-post Photo #2: Image by Paulo Bobita
In-post Photo #3: Sergey Nivens/Shutterstock.com (adapted by the author)
In-post Photo #4: Image by Paulo Bobita
In-post Photo #5: Image by Paulo Bobita