Search Engine Strategies San Jose Overview
Search Engine Strategies has come to an end and its time for everyone to gather up their freebies, pack up, and head back to their search engine marketing jobs with oodles and oodles of new information and interesting ideas derived from the search engine fest of 2005. As we’ve mentioned before, unfortunately we could not make it this year to San Jose, but are planning on attending SES New York and SES Tokyo in 2006. That is, if the new owners of Search Engine Strategies consider one of the popular Search Engine News sites to be a member of the press.
Some of the biggest news stories to come out of the Search Engine Strategies Conference centered around the major search engines. Google is developing a quasi-behaviral targeting option for Google AdSense which does not seem to be cookie based (instead publisher opinion based), Yahoo is testing its own contextual advertising network and now has a search index of over 20 billion items, Ask Jeeves and MSN Search are both launching new paid search interfaces, Verizon is getting into Pay-Per-Call search advertising, and Local.com has been launched by Interchange to compete with Yahoo and Google in the Local Search market.
There was a bit of coverage of the SES San Jose Conference with Search Views, Web Pro News, and, of course, Search Engine Roundtable. Additionally, Barry ran down a great list of sessions covered by SERoundtable:
– Mobile Search
– Search Algorithms: The Patent Files
– Weird Science: The Next Generation in Media Planning and Buying
– Earning From Search & Contextual Ads
– Eye of the Storm: Lessons from Large Search Marketers
– Searcher Behavior Research Update
– Search APIs
– Personalized Search & Search History
– Vertical Creep Into Regular Results
– From Broad to Specific: Capitalizing on vertical search and other niche publishing opportunities.
– Should You Chase The Algorithm?
– Link Building Basics
– Landing Page Testing & Tuning
– Ad Reps: Friend or Foe? – How to Handle Situations with Search Engines Going Direct to Your Clients
– Indexing Summit 2: Redirects, Titles & Descriptions
If you attended SES San Jose and would like to leave some feedback on the conference, the speakers, the exhibitors, the parties or whatever .. please feel free to post below.