I recently tested out the software SEO SpyGlass which is part of the SEO Powersuite. SEO SpyGlass is a simple-to-use backlink checker. If you want to do well in SEO you have to understand the importance of keeping track of your competitor’s back-linking strategies. SEO SpyGlass can help you do that and also help you find high-quality links for your website.
SEO SpyGlass helps you see, on your own computer, what strategies your competitors have employed and this data is what you need to create a winning strategy of your own. This important information is for you to keep private and won’t be published online for others to see. This is a plus.
SEO SpyGlass answers some pretty serious questions:
- Where can you get higher-quality backlinks than your competitors have and strive to rank better (and higher) for keyword searches?
- What anchor text phrases are being used by your competitors? And which should you be focusing on to hopefully outrank your competition?
- How many links you will need to begin to really compete with your online competitors?
SEO SpyGlass Software Key Features:
- Lets you easily see if your competitors are buying site-wide links.
- Shows you the age of every site that links to your competition.
- Shows the BEST keywords to optimize the site for.
- The tool comes with a built-in Scheduler, which allows you to schedule backlink checks and automatically send reports to clients (or yourself).
- CAPTCHA breaking service (available to SEO SpyGlass users for an extra fee).
- Professional and fully customizable SEO reports.
Background Data on Software
- SEO SpyGlass collects backlink data from 412 search engines, including Blekko.
- Proxies and search safety features. SEO SpyGlass comes with various search engine safety settings to minimize temporary search engine blocks (human emulation settings).
- Always fresh backlinks – the database gets fresh new links daily. Plus, continuous crawling; backlinks are fully refreshed to virtually any page within 7 days or sooner.
- Advanced backlink stats based on crucial backlink quality factors including Google PageRank, Alexa Traffic Rank, DMOZ or the Yahoo! Directory listings, Anchor Text analysis, Facebook likes, number of Tweets and +1’s.
- Nice data exporting options. Enterprise users export your backlinks to Excel, PDF, HTML, TXT,XML or SQL formats.
Test One – Searching via Competitor
Step one of the process, add a URL of a competitor. If you chose “next” without the “show expert options” checked you were given some basic information to start. I chose to not check it for test one.
The software then asked if I wanted to update search engine data.
Backlink Factors To Choose From
I, of course, said yes and was given many options to choose from. I was also given the chance to add more backlink factors of my own. Some factors you don’t see in the image below:
- Internal Factors
- Page meta info – title, description, keywords etc.
- Total links on a page
- External links – number of links on the page to another site
- External Factors – Google PageRank of page and domain
- Indexation and Link Popularity Data for selected search engines
- Social Media Data – choice of mediums
For this test I chose the standard backlink factors and was given a complete report in minutes. I clicked on the “Analyze” button was given several different factors to look at. See the image below at those factors.
I was able to save and export the data the software had collected. This process was quick and simple.
Test Two – Searching via Keyword
On this test I chose a keyword and chose to check to the “show expert options…”
I was able to choose which search engine I wanted to search and which country I wanted to search in.
I highly recommend you choose the “show expert options” because my results were much better. With this option I still got to choose backlink factors wanted to look at and I chose many :-).
The initial search for links was done in seconds with 1,100 results, but the backlink factors I chose to look took a couple of couple of hours to process. I was able to see a lot of great information. Below you will see some of the backlink factors available that I mentioned before.
After reviewing this data I was able to choose an option that let me look at reports. Below is a screenshot of what this report looked like.
This tool would be very helpful for those that need more than the basic backlink reports. SEO SpyGlass offers a substantial amount of information for a large number of links. All of the data can be saved and custom reports can be made. The amount of data is fantastic for backlink analysis and link building strategy planning.
This is a very easy tool to use and you can test it a free download.
There are 3 Versions of SEO SpyGlass
- The unlimited Free version (requires an email; no CC info required)
- The Pro version for webmasters
- The Enterprise version “for commercial use in SEO companies”
Subscribe to SEJ
Get our daily newsletter from SEJ's Founder Loren Baker about the latest news in the industry!