This week Microsoft launched their voice activated local search service, Live Search 411, which harnesses the technology behind Microsoft acquisition Tellme to deliver local, maps, directions and web results to mobile phone users after the ease of a telephone call.
Phones are made to speak into, not typing, so voice activated search makes total sense. Microsoft and Google now have their respected offerings, with Google’s 1-800-GOOG-411 and Microsoft’s 1-800-CALL-411.
Yahoo is still working on voice search, as they’ve mastered their Yahoo OneSearch mobile search offering, but have not gone public with a voice input option.
Live Search 411 features include (from the LiveSearch blog):
- Connect to any business listing you find-for free
- Receive SMS links to maps, driving directions and traffic conditions (just say “text me the info”)
- Get movie showtimes and even buy tickets over the phone (via our partnership with Fandango)
- Share text messages of business details with friends so they can easily meet you there
- Hear the current weather conditions and the forecast
- Quickly access travel resources like airlines, hotels, and rental cars
- Remember your personalized locations for movie theaters, weather and traffic, and your preferences for receiving text messages.