What are your Link Building Strategies? Do you have any? If you do have any, are you following them? Do you have a link building checklist to follow?
These are some questions that you must ask yourself if you want to build quality and quantity links to a website or webpage. With Google using around 200 data points to size up your website, we all know that links are one of the most important aspects of search engine optimization. The problem lies in the actual taking action to gather links.
If you are not willing to spend some labor intensive time link building, then I suggest you outsource this part of your search engine optimization to a reputable SEO firm that specializes in getting links. It just might be worth the investment. If you do decide to go down this road by yourself, then make sure you dot your I’s and cross your T’s. I suggest you find a consultant or firm that has experience. Be specific about the results you expect.
If you are willing to spend time and effort getting quality links, then here is a suggested link building checklist:
1. What is the purpose? Decide what your link building is for (choose one) –
- More traffic
- Better rankings
- Get a web page indexed
- Make you feel good
2. Map out your strategy. (Part 1) Who and When? –
- Who is going to do the work?
- When is the work going to start?
- Is the work ongoing? or
- Is there a date that the work should be finished?
- Who reports to whom? Is there a reporting process?
3. Map out your strategy. (Part 2) What and How? –
- What web pages are the links directed to (in importance)?
- What keywords (anchor text) will be used in each webpage?
- What types of content/websites will be targeted to get links?
- How will the content/websites to get links be found?
- How to approach the content/websites to gather links?
4. Map out your strategy. (Part 3) Where will the links be gathered? (ideas) –
- Your own sites
- Internal Link building strategies
- Competing websites
- News sites
- Relevant blogs
- Related specialty sites
- How-to sites
- Social sites
- Social groups
- Social lists
- Social profiles
- Guest posting
- Local and business links
- Article syndication
- Press Releases
5. Follow the ACT system. Using the list above it is now time to ACT. Start networking, exploring, and researching and take action today.
- Ask – be bold and simply ask for links!
- Content – create valuable relative content. “Modern SEO is all about crafting content so compelling that other people want to make note of it by linking back to you, thereby increasing your trust and authority and attracting links to the pages you want to rank well for certain keywords.” – SEO Copywriting 2.0 by Brian Clark
- Timing – plan and build a process that works for you.
Whatever your link building strategies, you need to have a plan and a checklist. If you don’t you will either never begin or you just might get off course. Link building is about determination not necessarily knowledge or creativity (although they help). Focus on the strategies but spend most of your time implementing the plan you have set forth.
Garrett Pierson is Founder and President of New Generation Consulting, a consulting firm specializing in search engine optimization, social media, website conversion, and success. He is the creator of Building Social Equity 2.0 a “SEO Meets Social Media” training course. Garrett can be followed on Twitter @garrettpierson
Subscribe to SEJ
Get our daily newsletter from SEJ's Founder Loren Baker about the latest news in the industry!