When you first joined YouTube it’s possible you picked a URL that isn’t quite in line with what you have built your brand into today.
Previously you could have started a new account with a URL that’s more befitting of your brand, but who wants to go through the effort of starting a whole new channel, especially after you have acquired a number of subscribers.
Now there’s an easier way to get a new custom URL without having to undo all the work you have done to build your following on YouTube. The company states that starting this week it will be sending out emails and notifications to qualifying users that will give them the opportunity to claim a new URL.
YouTube will suggest some potential URLs for you to choose from based on your channel’s description, Google identify, and websites associated with your YouTube account. One you pick your new URL, your subscribers will be automatically redirected if they try to get to your account via the old URL.
Be careful, because once you change your URL once you won’t be able to change it again, so make sure it’s one you’re fully satisfied with.
Here’s How YouTube’s Custom URL Works
First, you have to meet YouTube’s eligibility requirements, which are as follows:
- 500 or more subscribers
- Channels is at least 30 days old
- Channel has uploaded a photo for the channel icon
- Channel has uploaded channel art
Your account also has to be in “good standing”, which I’m taking to mean that you don’t have any strikes against you for publishing content that is against YouTube’s terms of services.
You’ll know if you qualify for a new custom URL because YouTube will notify you via email. From there you can take the following steps (via YouTube Help page)
- First, sign into your YouTube account.
- Go to advanced account settings by clicking your profile in the top left corner, then click the settings icon (It looks like a gear). Then click Advanced.
- Under “Channel settings,” select the link next to You’re eligible for a custom URL. This link will only appear if your channel is eligible for the custom URL.
- In the “Get a custom URL” box, you’ll see the custom URL you’ve been approved for. You may need to add a few letters or numbers to make the URL unique.
- Check “I agree to the Terms of Service,” then click Change URL.
- Keep in mind, you can only change your URL once. When you are sure you have the right URL, click Confirm choice.
After that, you should be all set to reap the benefits of your new URL.
Subscribe to SEJ
Get our daily newsletter from SEJ's Founder Loren Baker about the latest news in the industry!