Google Fixing Site Command Search Bugs
Google is fixing some issues which have been raised recently among webmasters about the site: search function which lets users see how many pages of their site are listed in the Google index.
Vanessa Fox, Google Engineering, outlines the bugs on the Google Sitemaps blog:
In this case, we found a few bugs that affected the site: operator. Some particular ones you may have noticed are that the following types of queries don’t return the correct number of results:
* site: queries where you type in a trailing slash (such as site:www.example.com/)
* site: queries for a domain with punctuation (such as site: www.example-site.com)
We’ve got fixes for all of these rolling out in the next few days. They didn’t come out sooner because we’ve been testing them thoroughly, making sure you don’t get any unexpected surprises.
Have no fear, the bug did not result in sites and pages being dropped from the index.
It’s the site: operator that isn’t working properly. We’re freezing all refreshes of the supplemental results until these issues are fixed, and things should be back to normal in a few days. We’ll keep you posted when all fixes have been made.
Hattip to Barry who notes that one of Google newest employees, Adam Lasnik, also addresses the issue on WebmasterWorld.