Shoemoney has published a tip coming from a secret source that Google is going to be offering paid reviews via their Google AdSense system and is looking for beta testers. Make no sense to you or seem to good to be true? Jeremy lays down some reasons why this may be doable.
- Publishers – Google already has a amazingly huge database of publishers.
- Advertisers – Nobody has no online advertisers then Google AND now they they have taped into the news, magazine and radio network they have access to tap even more advertisers on the shoulder to pay for reviews of their service.
- Blogger – Google already owns the biggest blog network in the world and they seem to already have a relationship with wordpress for easy implementation of Google AdSense on wordpress.com (that would make sense anyway).
- Metrics – Between Google toolbar, Adsense, and Pagerank data Google has by far the best metrics to price a site for a review. They already use these metrics for Adwords in selling contextual ads and links.
Seriously, I really do not see Google getting into the paid reviews arena unless the end result is the indexing of this review information within the Google Shopping and Google social network as a way to get the jump on Amazon, Yahoo and other online vendors who post user reviews.
Here’s how :
- Since Google’s end product is search, I could see Google offering some kind of tested review process where their reviewers must enter a proof of purchase code into the interface to prove they have used or purchased an item
- Then they post a review within Google or on their own blog, in order to receive a payment for the review, if they do post on their own blog, the blog would have to run Google AdSense.
- When someone searches for a specific product brand name, model number or relevant term, Google Products / Google Shopping then serves idenpendent third party reviews, both hosted on Google or Google Partnered blogs (blogs serving AdSense).
- The user then reads the reviews and makes the purchase of that product or other products suggested via Adsense.
Seems a bit hairbrained and tedious, but it may somehow make sense. And it may somehow undermine the current paid review market which include organic links to products which may alter Google results.
What do you think? Should Google step into the paid review market? Or keep their paws out of it?