Barry Schwartz points to a WebmasterWorld thread where a Yahoo Search Marketing representative, YahooSarah, posts an explanation of Yahoo’s new Quality Index Score system.
Basically, Yahoo Search Marketing now uses a mix of click price and quality score to determine placement of ads in Yahoo Search results.
Here’s Sarah’s explanation of how to boost your Yahoo Quality Score and outrank competitors while paying less:
Remember that more than click-through rate influences the quality of an ad: The quality of an ad is determined relative to other ads displayed at the same time by both its expected performance going forward and its historical performance. Historical performance data was not purged on February 5, but as time passes, the data generated after the launch of the new ranking model will have the strongest influence on ad quality calculations.
The time it takes to take both expected and historical performance into account to measure ad quality depends on the volume of searches related to a keyword. Keywords with lots of daily searches often generate enough data in a relatively short period of time until historical performance is a stronger factor for ad quality within that marketplace.
And no, the data used to determine ad quality is not “purged” at the beginning of a new month.
If that’s not enough, here’s some more info on Yahoo Search Marketing’s Quality Ranking Score:
Yahoo Search Marketing’s ‘Quality Index Ranking’ may look at these factors as being the most important:
* Bid or Click Price
* Historical click-through data
* Conversion data
* Organic Rankings of the said Advertiser URL
* Whether the query word/phrase appears in the title
* Keyword in URL
* Keywords on Landing Page
* Possibly other Keyphrases in Campaign
* Comparison between other sites advertising for keyterm
Here are some methods which could better your ranking within Yahoo Search Marketing Sponsored Listings:
1. Call to Action in Active Ad Copy
2. Compelling Title Tag
3. Geotargeted Advertising
4. Use of Searched Keyword in Ad Copy
5. Use of A/B Split Ad Copy Testing to See Which Works Better
6. Try Dayparting : Running More or Less Ads During Certain Part of the Day
7. Test Landing Pages : Run With the Higher Converting Ones
8. Inclusion of Text Based Keyphrases on Landing Page
9. Use Keywords in Landing Page URL
10. Use of a recognizeable domain