A new study reveals that 91% of brands have moved at least a part of their digital marketing operations in-house.
Cost efficiency, greater control and increased transparency are amongst the biggest reasons for in-housing.
The study was commissioned by advertising platform Bannerflow, in conjunction with Digiday.
Findings of the study are based on the responses of 200 senior marketing decision makers from brands, in-housing agencies, and consultancies in Europe.
Results of the study reveal how the in-housing trend is changing the face of digital advertising.
Here are some other key findings from the study.
State of In-Housing in 2019
More companies are turning toward in-house digital marketing, citing financial reasons as the primary motivator.
- 58% of brands are confident they can run an in-house marketing team alone.
- 96% believe that the availability of advertising technology and other tools has allowed more marketers to take marketing operations in-house.
- 63% think that in-housing is a passing trend.
Transparency was also said to be an important reason for the in-housing shift.
Out of those surveyed, 87% of decision makers said they were concerned with the level of transparency offered by media agencies.
When it comes to moving digital marketing operations in-house, 56% of respondents say a lack of existing talent and skills to build a competent in-house team in the biggest obstacle.
There is also said to be a concern that in-house marketing could be an impediment to creativity, with long term strategic goals being prioritized over short term ROI goals.
For further information, the full report can be downloaded here.
- 7 Key Considerations When Developing Your In-House SEO Structure
- Should You Choose a PPC Agency or In-House PPC Management?
Subscribe to SEJ
Get our daily newsletter from SEJ's Founder Loren Baker about the latest news in the industry!