Xenu is a highly valuable tool (that’s another great exception from the rule: it is both free and awesome). Let’s see how we can use it for SEO purposes:
1. Find broken links (to make your site easier to crawl and thus increase your crawl rate):
2. Identify your site internal duplicate content issues (duplicate titles):
3. Find largest pages/images (to optimize your page load time):
4. Find least linked-in pages (quick tip: to learn which exactly pages link to the current page, right-click / ALT+ENTER on the URL and choose “Properties”):
5. Find pages with most outlinks (increase your site crawl rate by minimizing the number of each page outbound links):
6. Find your deepest-buried pages and learn how easily they can be found (by “status” and “level” properties):
7. Find images that lack alternative text:
- Right-click on an URL to get instant access to Google Cache and Internet Archive;
- CTRL+R will retry all failed URLs;
- Set less parallel threads in “Options”=> “Properties” to have fewer failed connections.
Featured Image: maxxyustas via Depositphotos
Subscribe to SEJ
Get our weekly newsletter from SEJ's Founder Loren Baker about the latest news in the industry!