Google has managed to build an awesome search engine to my mind: it has a simple user-friendly interface and returns the most relevant results.
However naturally, Google just can’t satisfy everyone’s needs.
The following FireFox Extensions will help you to adapt Google’s interface and results to what you need, in the most efficient manner possible, making Google even better.
- Turn off Google personalized search with Joost’s search plugin (works for both FireFox and Internet Explorer). If you search Google to check your rankings for example, you most probably want Google to show you most impersonal results independent of your search history and preferences:
- Search Google without Wikipedia – another FireFox search plugin by Distilled that removes wiki results from Google SERPs (for all of us who are sick and tired of seeing wiki results on top no matter what we search for).
- Show numbers for Google SERPs: Number Google Results is a FireFox plugin that requires Greasemonkey installed.
- Enhance Google results page with useful information for each result: Google PR, backlinks, age, etc: SEOQuake or SEO for FireFox.
- Google Global allows to view both organic and paid results for 5 different countries (USA, Canada, Ireland, UK and Australia).
- Google Advanced Search FireFox Toolbar allows for a quick access to some Google advanced operators (I wish they had “date” operator included).
- GooglePreview is a FireFox add-on that shows page preview within Google results (for those of us who like visual search a lot).
- SocialPhile – to access Digg rankings within search results.
- SearchRadar integrates related phrases to the search results; besides, it provides a short context for each term once you hover over.
- GoogleHotKeys – to navigate through Google results with hot keys: ‘Return’/’N’ to navigate through pages, ‘Up’/’Down’ to navigate through results and ‘P’ for a page preview.
- SearchBoth shows Google and Yahoo results side by side.
Subscribe to SEJ
Get our weekly newsletter from SEJ's Founder Loren Baker about the latest news in the industry!