In the second to last Owned track session of Day Two, Bill Hunt, SES Advisory Board member and President of Back Azimuth Consulting, presented targeted strategies for increasing revenue through search keywords and social data mining. He stated that search keyword mining is directly related to social media, as social data can help you find out sentiment, context, and conversations of keywords.
Hunt also recommended using Wordle to create word cloud to get word ideas and to also find words people are talking about in social media and use them in content marketing, blogs, and paid search campaigns. This gives SEOs the opportunity to convert social mentions to insight and to find opportunities for engagement or to increase awareness.
Category Authority: Do you own your [word] cluster?
To have a successful presence organically for your target keywords, Hunt recommended first looking up the top 25 authority sites for each keyword and then identify which could be possible advertising partners, as well as what they were doing right to rank successfully.
Use Site Search Questions for Content Ideas
Utilize the reports from your website’s search box to find potential keyword and content ideas. You can also get a gauge on how successful your website navigation and paid search campaigns are by looking at search terms. If there are repeated variations of searches with no clicks, then your information is hard to find and you need to make it easier for the user.
In addition to the search box queries, it’s also helpful to look at questions on your organization’s social media sites. Take the top keywords for these social queries and build content that includes common search phrases such as how, what, can (I or we), and when.
Purchase Cycle & Intent
To take advantage of revenue opportunities during the intent to purchase cycle, you should:
- Research product use and information– utilize support question files
- See who is looking for features and functions
- Break down content into product audience segments: segment product words to cases
- Use buy cycle modifiers/words: buy, sale, closeout, upgrade, in stock, refurbished, special price, discount
Main Session Takeaways
- Share, collaborate, multiply.
- Find 20 most expensive CPC keywords– compare that to organic. Do we rank? Try to rank organically instead of overspending on paid.
- Take advantage of those “low hanging fruit” opportunities: offer content/products alternatives for users searching for something that isn’t made anymore; utilize your paid search campaign data for organic strategies.