Yahoo Releases New Toolbar for Firefox
Yahoo has released their first Yahoo Toolbar for Firefox which is currently a Beta version. Firefox has reached over 25 million downloads worldwide and its about time Yahoo acknowledge the browser which is a direct competitor of Microsoft (who just put out the new MSN Search). Why should Yahoo start dipping into the Firefox arena, especially after Google and Firefox have grown so close over the past months.?
Well, as the saying goes “the enemy of my enemy is my friend.” Additionally, as FireFox grows to a larger browser marketshare, Yahoo would have been making a huge mistake not to create their toolbar for the FireFox browser.
Yahoo’s Duke Fan, their Toolbar Product Manager chimed in on the YSearchBlog : “A lot of us also rely on the convenience of Yahoo! Toolbar, and now we can make the switch to Firefox too. For the last month, we’ve been working with a team of Yahoos from around the company who have provided some Mozilla expertise to build the beta version of the Yahoo! Toolbar for Mozilla Firefox.”
Fan added “There are still some rough edges in this beta. Like any Firefox extension, it may cause your browser to misbehave in unexpected ways. It’s been working well for us on Windows, and we’re testing on Mac, Linux, and FreeBSD as well. See the release notes for more details.”
The Yahoo Toolbar for FireFox includes these features:
* Easy access to Yahoo! Search
* Bookmarks and custom buttons that follow you anywhere
* Search This Site to find results just for the current web site
* Search History to remember your previous searches
* Translate This Page based on the popular Babelfish tools
* Mail notification when new Yahoo! Mail arrives
* One click access to Yahoo! Games, Finance, News, Sports and any web site you choose
* New Feature: One click “Add to My Yahoo” on sites that provide RSS/Atom feeds