As an active Internet user, I browse hundreds of pages daily. Sometimes I have dozens of tabs open and I have to switch quickly between them.
To enhance my productivity I am now playing with a couple of screen-splitting tools that are aimed to help me:
- Quickly compare search results (of various (local) search engine versions, of different search engines – e.g. Google versus Bing, – etc.)
- Quickly switch between tabs (especially for reference notes, quoting, note taking, etc);
- Easily read, keep notes, summarize – everything in one window.
Now, let me share the two tools:
1. Fox Splitter
Fox Splitter is an option-rich FireFox addon that offers you the various splitting features:
- Split current tab;
- Tile all tabs;
- Tile all tabs vertically / horizontally;
- Access recently closed panes;
- Collapse / Expand all panes:
It can be accessed in various ways:
- Choose the “Split Browser to” menu in the context menu.
- Choose the “Load in Split Browser” menu in the context menu on link.
- Click popup-button on top/bottom/left/right edges of the content area.
- Drop links, bookmarks, tabs, etc. to popup-button on top/bottom/left/right edges of the content area while dragging.
2. Tile Tabs
Tile Tabs – this one is also really rich in features and settings (and I can’t still choose between the two actually). The menu options include:
- Tile Tab – adds an existing tab as a new tile above, left, right or below the currently selected tile.
- Tile New Tab – opens a new tab as a new tile above, left, right or below the currently selected tile.
- Tile Duplicate Tab – opens a duplicate tab as a new tile above, left, right or below the currently selected tile.
- Tile Link in New Tab – opens a link in a new tab as a new tile above, left, right or below of the currently selected tile.
- Untile Tab – removes a tile and the corresponding tab reverts to normal operation.
- Expand Tile – expands a tile and collapses all the other tiles in that group (or use F2).
- Tile All Tabs – adds all tabs as tiles together horizontally, vertically or in a grid.
- Untile All Tabs – removes all tiles and all tabs revert to normal operation.
The toolbar button is really nicely done and requires no extra instructions:
The result looks cool in both the cases – definitely a time-saver!
Subscribe to SEJ
Get our weekly newsletter from SEJ's Founder Loren Baker about the latest news in the industry!