Visit our #SEJThinkTank archive to listen to other SEJ Marketing ThinkTank webinars.
On June 3rd, 2015, the SEJ Marketing ThinkTank webinar series was joined by Kelsey Jones, the Executive Editor of SEJ, for an insightful presentation about retro marketing and how brands are using the style to stand out in a sea of content.
Kelsey’s 40 minute presentation was followed by a short Q&A session, where attendees were able to ask questions about what works (and what doesn’t) in nostalgic marketing campaigns.
Her presentation covered what nostalgia marketing is, why it is so effective, and also included several examples of several brands that are doing it right. Top examples included Coke bringing back Surge and BuzzFeed’s brand publisher content.
How to Make Nostalgia Marketing Work For Your Brand
Think nostalgia, or retro, marketing could help your brand? Kelsey’s suggestions included:
- Pull marketing/content ideas from when your target audience was between the ages of 6 and 16
- Use it to showcase your brand’s own history
- Don’t over do it – you risk being seen as cheesy or trying too hard
- Use it to develop a stronger connection with your audience
- Do your research – was the toy you think people will connect to recalled for massive safety issues? This may end up coming across as ignorant or insincere to your audience.
Want to learn more? Watch the video recording here:
Or, view Kelsey’s slides here:
Join Us For Our Next Webinar!
Is Social Media Search The New Google? How To Boost Organic Traffic In 2023
Join our next webinar with Rachel Schardt, SEO Success Manager at Conductor, and learn how you can take full advantage of social media next year.