During and after Hurricane Katrina Coast Guardsmen saved more than 33,500 lives.
I have spoken to many people that didn’t know that the Coast Guard is considered part of our military defense; they are and they play a critical role. Two crucial roles are protecting our borders (Ports, waterways, coastal security) and rescuing many Americans daily. They also go out in hurricanes and national disasters to save us while clearly risking their own lives. USCGBoating.org offers some fantastic data that I think will show you just a little of what the US Coast Guard does for us daily.
- Conducts 109 Search and Rescue Cases.
- Saves 10 lives
- Assists 192 people in distress.
- Protects $2,791,841 in property.
- Seizes 169 pounds of marijuana and 306 pounds of cocaine worth $9,589,000.00.
Thank you United States Coast Guard for protecting us, rescuing us and maintaining our freedom.
Other Coast Guard Facts
- Active Since – 4 August 1790–present
- Active Personnel – 40,000+
- Motto – “Semper Paratus“
- Mascot – The Mule
- Website – USCG.mil
- Blog – CoastGuard.dodlive.mil
- YouTube – USArmy
- Like the Coast Guard on Facebook – Facebook.com/USCoastGuard
- See a list of USCG Equipment.
I am adding two tribute videos to this post because the USCG typically doesn’t get the credit or recognition they deserve. Please watch and learn more about what they do for every American, every single day.
Learn about our other military heroes: