As part of our SEJ interview series, Robert Riggs of Clariti interviewed me at Pubcon 2013 in Las Vegas.
Robert Riggs is an award-winning journalist who has worked for major networks in the U.S, such as CBS and ABC, so it was an honor to be interviewed by him.
In this interview I talk about SEJ, highlights from Pubcon, how to beat Google at their own game, and what I see as being the next big thing online.
Hear it all in the video below:
Here are some key takeaways from the video:
- I give some background info about SEJ, such as our mandate and our audience. For us here at SEJ, it all comes down to teaching the world more about SEO.
- I discuss the rivalry between Jason Calacanis and Matt Cutts that occurred at Pubcon, where Jason laid into Matt and Matt responded explaining why Google is de-indexing certain sites.
- Robert asks if Google is trying to take over popular sites with their own versions, such as Google Business Pages outranking Yelp. To a certain extent yes, I believe that is their intention. You can see that with how they’ve taken over the hotel market online.
- In order to beat Google at their own game, you have to be on the cutting edge and optimize for what Google is not doing.
- Robert asked what I see as being the next big thing, and lately I have been really impressed by the growth of Pinterest. Pinterest drives a ton of traffic and many sites aren’t taking full advantage of it.
- Robert asked about the importance of content, and I feel it’s important not to just publish content but to publish content your audience is actually looking for.
- Answering customer questions in the form of blog posts is a great way to ensure you’re providing the type of content your audience wants.
If you have any questions after watching the video ask them in the comments section and I will do my best to respond to everyone! Please visit SEJ’s YouTube page for more video interviews.
Subscribe to SEJ
Get our weekly newsletter from SEJ's Founder Loren Baker about the latest news in the industry!