As part of our SEJ interview series, Robert Riggs of Clariti interviewed me at Pubcon 2013 in Las Vegas.
Robert Riggs is an award-winning journalist who has worked for major networks in the U.S, such as CBS and ABC, so it was an honor to be interviewed by him.
In this interview I talk about SEJ, highlights from Pubcon, how to beat Google at their own game, and what I see as being the next big thing online.
Hear it all in the video below:
Here are some key takeaways from the video:
- I give some background info about SEJ, such as our mandate and our audience. For us here at SEJ, it all comes down to teaching the world more about SEO.
- I discuss the rivalry between Jason Calacanis and Matt Cutts that occurred at Pubcon, where Jason laid into Matt and Matt responded explaining why Google is de-indexing certain sites.
- Robert asks if Google is trying to take over popular sites with their own versions, such as Google Business Pages outranking Yelp. To a certain extent yes, I believe that is their intention. You can see that with how they’ve taken over the hotel market online.
- In order to beat Google at their own game, you have to be on the cutting edge and optimize for what Google is not doing.
- Robert asked what I see as being the next big thing, and lately I have been really impressed by the growth of Pinterest. Pinterest drives a ton of traffic and many sites aren’t taking full advantage of it.
- Robert asked about the importance of content, and I feel it’s important not to just publish content but to publish content your audience is actually looking for.
- Answering customer questions in the form of blog posts is a great way to ensure you’re providing the type of content your audience wants.
If you have any questions after watching the video ask them in the comments section and I will do my best to respond to everyone! Please visit SEJ’s YouTube page for more video interviews.