Facebook Ads Are Interesting… and Profitable
Combine AdWords’ copywriting and analytics with image-oriented linkbait, and you’ve got Facebook ads.
And it’s a new system to figure out how to compete in. To that end, I’ve combined my own experience with creating and optimizing Facebook ads for myself and clients with a survey of the existing literature out there, and created a free whitepaper and video training called “PAY PER FACE: 52 Facebook Ad Tips and Best Practices”.
I’ll share some of those here with you:
- Use CPM Bidding. The more compelling the ad, the higher CTR and thus lower CPC- bid CPM so you can take advantage of this, and CPC comes out lower.
- Change ads frequently to combat viewer tiredness. The more targeted you are, the quicker people will have seen it and will ignore it.
- Use Quantcast and Google AdPlanner to get demographic data for targeting.
- Organize target groups (and campaigns) by high, medium, and low affinity and budget accordingly.
- Make your images compelling: amateur photo look, animals, smiling people, picture of target audience’s goal or dream.
- Write awesome copy: questions, testimonials, calls to action, call-outs based on demo you targeted.
- Always test multiple ads. Always. Always.
- Pause ads when they tire to 25% of the original CTR, but reactivate them later. I’ve occasionally seen better performance from ads the second time around.
- Get super-granular by creating permutations of likes, ages, genders for more segmented campaigns. Then you can allocate budget according to performance and increase overall ROI.
- Study the top Digg posts from the last 365 days in your category to see what makes people click.
- Use “Facebook” and FB-specific terminology in your copy. For example: fan pages, wall posts, likes, and groups.
That’s 11 of the tips- for 41 more tips, more explanation, more diagrams, and a narrated video walkthrough of the whitepaper, click here:
“PAY PER FACE: 52 Facebook Ad Tips and Best Practices”
Subscribe to SEJ
Get our daily newsletter from SEJ's Founder Loren Baker about the latest news in the industry!