For anyone who doesn’t know about IM Charity, it is THE networking event/party of most major search conferences. The IM Charity event at SES San Jose last year was the biggest ever, with over 300 attendees including internet marketing stars Barbara Boser, Chris Winfield, Andy Beal, Dave Snyder and Oilman. In addition to having a blast, we raised $40,000 for the Children’s Hospital in Denver and the Leukemia and Lymphoma society.
For SMX West 2009, we’ve set the lofty goal of making this IM Charity Party the biggest and greatest to-date. To that end, we’ve enlisted the help of the search engine that could, Yahoo! and other great sponsors like We Build Pages to bring you this year’s event.
Time/Place: Tuesday, February 10th. 8pm to Midnight.
Cost: $40 donation. Includes open bar and appetizers.
Location: Yahoo! 2821 Mission College Blvd.
5 Networking Tips for IM Charity Party at SMX West
- Be Social! You don’t have to be Brent Csutoras to be comfortable talking to new people. You went to the conference, good job… now discreetly give yourself a Binaca spray, go up to a stranger and introduce yourself. We dare you.
- Avoid pitching yourself/your company/your bestest new product eva. You’re not Aaron Wall, so I know you didn’t write the book on SEO… so don’t try to convince me that you did. You know who you are.
- Get out of your comfort zone. Meet new people, people. Part ways, at least temporarily, from your usual clique. Try not to stagnate in a corner with them and mutter into your beer at each other. Don’t know what to talk about? Go Gossip Girl if you talk to Cshel. Switch to Battlestar Galactica if you talk to Graywolf or Lauren Vaccarello, or play fashion police with Jenise Uehara.
- Don’t ask for confidential information in the first 30 seconds after introducing yourself. Show you’re interested in the other person and ask questions. People like to talk about themselves. But firing off 20 questions that pry into one’s client list or financials will make your potential new contact run away.
- Don’t get so drunk you <verb> on <person’s name>.Yes, it is open bar and we all want to get our money’s worth, but you don’t want to be that guy or girl that everyone is talking about the next day. Really.
The IM Charity Party at SMX West WILL sell out. Secure your spot and do a good deed, simultaneously: 100% of proceeds go to charity.