I Want My Google TV
Google has a tendency to leak their future projects via job postings. The latest find is GoogleTV, which may be some TIVO type service or perhaps even a future plan for their GoogleNet. Google is looking for a Product Manager for GoogleTV and judging by the responsibilities and requirements, I recommend Weird Al Yankovic’s charcter of George Newman from his film masterpiece UHF. Hat tip to Adam Lasnik who found the job posting this morning.
Here’s an excerpt from the GoogleTV job posting :
In this role, you will provide leadership on product vision and execution of projects that enable using Google’s search and advertising technologies to enhance users’ Television viewing experience. This is a leadership role that combines entrepreneurship, strategy formulation, product development, project management and communication to internal and external audiences. You will identify key market trends that are shaping user behavior when watching Television. These include but not limited to the intersection of Internet and Television technologies, Video-On-Demand, Personal Video Recorders and emergence of next generation set-top-boxes with IP connectivity. You will then identify areas where use of Google’s search and advertising technology can enhance this user experience and define appropriate products to deliver these user benefits. You will work with UI designers and software engineers to conceptualize and develop these features. You will also manage a cross-functional team of engineering, marketing, sales, legal, finance and support functions to launch these products successfully in the marketplace. You will be responsible for driving this team to successfully accomplish product and business milestones. You will act as the internal and external spokesperson for these products and be responsible for its overall success. As part of this role, you may also be required to interact with strategic partners in the telecom and cable segments across the world. As part of these interactions you will be required to present product and business strategy to senior executives at these companies and work with them to deploy these products in their network.
* Product design or product management experience.
* Experience developing and/or marketing Internet products and technologies.
* Experience developing/launching products in one or more of the following areas: interactive TV, set-top-boxes, personal video recorders, video-on-demand, IP TV or cable TV technologies.
* Demonstrated experience in gathering design requirements into a product vision.
* Demonstrated ability to work with a team to rapidly produce prototypes and iterations.
* Entrepreneurial experience and familiarity with business issues (or a willingness to learn).
* Excellent written and oral communication skills.
* Experience making customer facing presentations on product and business strategy
* Quantitative analytical abilities.
* Strong organizational skills.
* Excellent technical skills.
* Degree in a CS field is desired. (MSCS, or PhD CS is a plus).
Subscribe to SEJ
Get our daily newsletter from SEJ's Founder Loren Baker about the latest news in the industry!