If you’ve never hired an SEO agency or an SEO consultant before, it’s very likely that you don’t know where to start. You also need to know what questions to ask, and the key things you should be looking for.
James explains the basics of hiring an SEO agency in the video below:
Here are some key takeaways from the video:
- Andrew says it’s important to find agencies who play well with other agencies. The era of the 500+ employee, full service agencies are over, Andrew believes. Everything has gotten so specialized that you need to find niche agencies to come in to handle specific things. That’s when it’s key to find agencies who are comfortable with working together.
- There are two types of agencies, Andrew says. There’s strategy-oriented agencies and task-oriented agencies. Andrew suggests if you have people on staff capable of putting together an SEO strategy, then spend your money wisely and just hire a task-oriented agency to do the work of implementing the strategy for you.
- When looking to hire an agency of any type, Andrew says it’s important to look for stories above all else. Don’t judge based on websites or whether that agency ranks organically for their target keywords.
- Sit down with an agency and have them tell you stories about how they solved a problem and how they applied critical thinking. An agency telling you they helped someone to increase traffic by 50% isn’t nearly as important as them telling you a story about how they solved a client’s needs.
- You need to find an SEO agency that’s not only comfortable with the technical side of SEO, but is also adept at critical thinking, understands marketing, and is able to put themselves in their client’s shoes.
Please visit SEJ’s YouTube page for more video interviews.