The disaster of the Haiti Earthquake has led to a worldwide relief effort which in the United States is being led my the American Red Cross and its Haiti 90999 campaign. Basically, if anyone who has a cell phone wants to donate to the Red Cross and its Haiti Relief missions, you can simply text message “Haiti” to 90999.
After doing so, you’ll receive a reply from the Red Cross asking you to confirm your donation and you then have to reply with a “Yes” … that’s it, a pretty simple way to donate $10 to this fund. Over the weekend, while sitting in the comfort of my living room watching NFL Playoffs and now the Golden Globes, I can’t help but think of ways to assist the relief effort. Perhaps spreading word via this site on a day when there is not much search noise may help.
So, whip out your cellphone and text “Haiti” to 90999 and if you have already done so, do it again … it’s the price of a meal at McDonalds. No excuses, just do it right now.
- Red Cross. To Donate $10 to Red Cross for #Haiti – Text HAITI to 90999 (the $10 will be charged to your cell phone bill). You can also go online to redcross.org and click Donate, or call (800) REDCROSS.
Besides the American Red Cross, there are many websites and online relief efforts that have been set up over the past few days and we’ve compiled a list of sites that you can check out if you want to monitor what’s happening in Haiti and also make donations to responsible charities.
- Text Yele. Wyclef Jean is urging donors to text ‘Yele’ to 501501 and make a $5 contribution to the relief effort over cell phone. Click here to get more information via Wyclef’s Twitter page.
- Save the Children. Donate at savethechildren.org or make checks out to “Save the Children” and mail to: Save the Children Income Processing Department, 54 Wilton Road, Westport, Conn. 06880
- UNICEF. Go online to unicefusa.org/haitiquake or call (800) 4UNICEF.
- Direct Relief InternationalDonate online at directrelief.org.
- Mercy Corp. Go online to mercycorps.org or mail checks to Haiti Earthquake Fund, Dept. NR, PO Box 2669, Portland, Ore. 97208 or call (888) 256-1900
- Useful Number to Memorize -1-888-407-4747. It’s a toll-free number set up by the The State Department has also set up links on its Web site to facilitate donations to disaster relief agencies.
- TwitterMap.tv – shows where people are tweeting geographically
- Google Earth image mapping layer of Haiti
- Center for International Disaster Information
- Or you can go online to organizations like the Red Cross and Mercy Corps to make a contribution to the disaster relief efforts.