Yahoo has just reported its Q2 Financial Standings. And despite the negative trend in almost all of its online business, Yahoo’s CEO Carol Bartz expressed optimism and was even pleased with the Q2’s outcome. Ms. Bartz also highlighted the recently launched redesigned Yahoo Homepage, which is to date, Yahoo’s best online stronghold.
Here are some keypoints of Yahoo’s earnings report:
- net income is at $141.4 million or 10 cents per share on total revenue minus TAC amounting to $1.14 million; this is equivalent to a 9% decrease from last year’s $1.34 billion earning at 9 cents per share.
- total revenue is $1,573 million, a 13 percent decrease from Q2 2008; excluding the impact of currency rate fluctuations, Q2 revenue decreased by 8% from the same period last year
- revenues from marketing services decreased by 13 percent and from fees decreased by 8%
- revenues from marketing services from owned and operated sites were at $848 million, a 16% decrease from last year’s $1,016 million
- search ad and display ad revenue both decreased
- marketing services revenues from Affiliate sites were at $520 million, a 9% decrease from last year’s $571 million
Despite this negative performance, Yahoo’s Carol Bartz was still pleased with the way the company has handled the challenges faced by the company in the previous quarter. According to Ms. Bartz:
“I’m pleased with our results this past quarter. We established a clear, simple vision to be the center of people’s lives online, and we’re backing that vision with important initiatives to create ‘wow’ experiences for our users,”
And she goes on to mention the launch of the newly redesigned Yahoo Homepage which she thinks will bring positive impact on Yahoo’s performance in the coming days.
In a related note, Ms. Bartz congratulated Microsoft on the success of its Bing search engine. Ms. Bartz believes that Microsoft has finally done something right with Bing.
Is this statement any indication of a possible agreement with Microsoft anytime soon? The issue has been resurrected prior to Yahoo’s Q2 Earning Report. And the indicators are pointing to that direction.