2017 is here! You may be getting on with the new year by catching up with things you missed last year, following through with your resolutions, and checking out trends to look forward to this year. You may even be thinking of where to put your hard-earned money, and whether to spend more, less, or the same on your digital marketing activities for 2017.
Look no further! Our latest #SEJSurveySays poll results can help. How much do other digital marketers and strategists plan to spend this year compared to 2016?
According to a survey sent out to Search Engine Journal’s Twitter audience, 71% say they plan to spend more on their digital marketing activities in 2017, while 14% plan to spend less, and 15% plan to spend around the same. These results show that investment in digital marketing activities will increase this year.
So if you’re thinking of investing more on your digital marketing activities, now is the time to do it! But what digital marketing activities should you spend on? Let’s take a look at some areas to focus on to make the most of your investments in 2017.
Digital Marketing Activities to Focus On in 2017
What digital marketing activity (or activities) should you focus on this year? Here are a few suggestions:
SEO can get the work done by ensuring you’re optimized for search engine results. Getting your website to the top of the SERPs is a big step towards making yourself known and getting those needed sales, sign-ups, or conversions. You show up at the right place (top of the SERPs) and at the right time (when you’re exactly what users are looking for during their searches).
Here are some tips to jump-start your year in SEO:
- Use SEO to increase your traffic. Check out these white hat techniques that can double your traffic in 2017.
- Don’t fall prey to the dark side. Take note of these black hat techniques that can kill your SEO campaigns.
- Looking for speedy and simple? Here are 101 quick and actionable SEO tips that can help you get a move on.
Next to earned media, digital marketers say paid media can give the best return in 2017. That’s because paid media is a time-tested way to get results. If you want to invest in PPC campaigns, paid search, and display advertising, here are a few ideas to get you started:
- Thinking of launching a PPC campaign this year? Learn how to optimize your paid search campaign, and identify what matters most to your goal.
- Want to amp up last year’s underperforming campaigns? Here are tactics that can help supercharge your PPC campaigns.
- Why not use remarketing to boost your efforts this year? You can even apply it to different channels and find out what the best performing channel is for you. Check out this complete guide to cross-channel remarketing campaigns.
Content marketing is a growing industry, and its value is getting stronger than ever. According to an infographic by CopyPress, 84% of content marketing agencies expect content to be more important. So if you’re thinking of investing in content to grow your brand, here are some resources to help:
- Start with creating a content strategy. Learn more in this SEJ Marketing Nerds podcast with Brody Dorland as he shares insights on crafting the perfect content strategy.
- Once you have a strategy in place, decide what kind of content to create that can best serve your purpose. Julia McCoy shares eight types of content to grow your online presence.
- Content marketing doesn’t only involve text materials such as blog posts, long-form guides, and case studies. Creating content with visuals can be engaging — especially using video. Here’s how to get into video in 2017.
Social Media Marketing
2016 was a big year for social media and it looks like 2017 will be even bigger — with video, influencer marketing, and bots dominating social media marketing trends this year. It’s the perfect time to capitalize on social media and use it for digital marketing.
Here are a few tips for your social media marketing year:
- Social media networks introduced 360 photos and videos to their platform last year. Why not use them as part of your digital marketing strategy this year? Our very own Kelsey Jones shows you how to use 360-degree photos and videos for social media marketing.
- Get in on the chatbot action! Learn about the opportunities available with chatbot marketing and how you can build your own chatbot.
- Engage more with your customers on Facebook Live and Snapchat. Include Facebook Live in your marketing strategy and use Snapchat to connect with your audience.
Whatever digital marketing activity you decide to focus on, make sure it aligns with your goals for 2017. Your hard-earned money will be well-spent achieving what you had planned out for the year.
Have Your Say
Do you plan to spend more, less, or around the same on your digital marketing activities in 2017? Tag us on social media and have your say in the next survey by checking out the hashtag #SEJSurveySays on Twitter for future polls and data.