We have profiled and reviewed many various FireFox addons that provide some different search experience: for example, we had Web Pro Search that lets you search by dragging and dropping, Search Bastard that gives you a cool multi-search functionality, we even listed some ways to search Google using keyboard shortcuts.
Today I am going to review new addons that let you easily search right from the page: by highlighting the term yo want to check out:
Search Selected allows to search using the keyboard shortcuts!
Here are the keyboard shortcuts you can use:
- Use numbers to search using your favorite search engines (for favorite search use keyboard buttons 0-9)
- Use pre-defined letter for various types of searc:
- s: web search
- c: current site search (using SITE: operator)
- v: video search
- i: image search
- w: wikipedia search
Note: if the selected text is a URL – you can open it with the u button.
All search types will be performed in new tabs – which I found particularly cool!
RCSearch adds advanced searching capabilities to FireFox right-click context menu. Have it installed, highlight any term, right-click and choose the search engine.
All the available search engines can be seen on the screenshot:
3. Add Your Own Search Engines to Context Menu
Sachio Search is a FireFox addon that lets you add as many search engines to your FireFox context menus:
- Install the addon;
- Select any word on a page;
- Right-click and choose any search engine:
It allows to add, remove and re-order search engines from the addon options: