Below is my presentation for Pubcon Vegas 2012. In it I discussed creating blog goals, finding and keeping writers, and content creation tips. Some key points to take away that were spoken, but not in the presentation:
- All blogs should have defined goals
- Create goals that are attainable
- Plan ahead on how you will meet these goals
- The unified goals of everyone involved will determine which writers are chosen, which posts are published and also give you a direction for growth.
- Great guest writers are a gift and they are doing you a favor.
- Most writers work, have families, and have many other things to do. Truly appreciate their time.
- Become invested in who they are, because they are investing in you.
- Support them in anyway you can.
- Their time and effort deserves respect and appreciation.
- You are the authority, but be friendly and understanding.
- Don’t feel bad being choosy. If the writer doesn’t meet the blog’s goals, they are a “no”!
- Always ask: Will their article be helpful to our audiences?
- Does the quality of writing meet your goals?
- It is never a good idea to talk down to writers, the word will spread.
Two of tools I use to keep organized are mentioned as well.
Blog Planning – Goals, Writers and Content Ideas from alphabrand