A big thanks to our Pubcon 2013 sponsor, Brand.com: “the #1 rated online reputation management company”.
In an interview conducted at Pubcon 2013 in Las Vegas, Kris Jones of Internet Marketing Ninjas takes us on a journey through the evolution of SEO.
Do you know how SEO got to where it is today compared to where it was several years ago? Kris has been working in online marketing for over a decade, so he can tell you all about it.
Hear what he has to say in the video below:
Here are some key takeaways from the video:
- Google wants users to spend more time on their search engine versus sending traffic elsewhere, so SEO as we know it today very much lives within their ecosystem.
- Kris gives an example of Google’s influence on SEO by saying that you don’t necessarily even need a website to rank locally, all you need is a Google+ page.
- SEO used to be all about getting traffic to your site, but now it’s about how you can turn that traffic into leads and new business.
- Today we have access to powerful SEO tools that didn’t exist just a few years ago. Kris gives the example of backlink analysis tools like the ones offered by Majestic SEO.
- Kris says that we need to become “device agnostic” as Internet marketers. This means we have to become aware that people are finding us and engaging with us using different types of devices.
- Today we have to ensure that our websites are rendering properly on mobile devices. If your website isn’t optimized for mobile, Kris says it’s time to stop spending money on things like PPC advertising and invest in making your site current with the way users are consuming content.
- You need to evolve with the changes you will become irrelevant, Kris says. Local businesses especially need to adopt a mobile-first strategy.
If you have any questions after watching the video, for either myself or Kris, ask them in the comments section and we will do our best to respond to everyone! Please visit SEJ’s YouTube page for more video interviews from Pubcon 2013.