A big thanks to our Pubcon 2014 sponsor, LinkResearchTools, your off-page SEO toolkit. Link Detox: Recover – Protect – Build.
At Pubcon 2014 in Las Vegas, I had the opportunity to sit down and talk with Jordan Kasteler of Red Door Interactive about content marketing.
What’s really important right now in the world of content marketing, and what should people be focused on going forward?
These are some of the questions I get his unique insight on the video below:
Content Marketing Today: An Interview With Jordan Kasteler
Here are some key takeaways from the video:
- Content marketing has been around forever, but it wasn’t always called content marketing. Now that it’s getting bigger, Jordan sees the same mistakes being made now that people were making before the popularity of content marketing exploded.
- One of the biggest things is that people hear about content marketing, they get into it, they produce a good piece of content, and then it falls flat.
- It falls flat because the only place they’re promoting it is on their own website and social media accounts. Because of that they don’t get the traction out of that content that they were really hoping for.
- When content falls flat businesses get discouraged and tend to give up too easily on content marketing.
- With content marketing, promoting the content is as important as actually creating the content.
- With the way Facebook and other social networks are going, we’re getting into a pay-to-play environment. You really need a budget to go with your content marketing efforts to get some of that earned media that you might not get otherwise.
- Once you get earned media from your paid media, then promote that coverage on your own channels. That third party influence gives you more social proof and credibility. Having others write about you is often more influential than when you’re just writing about yourself.
Please visit SEJ’s YouTube page for more video interviews.
Subscribe to SEJ
Get our daily newsletter from SEJ's Founder Loren Baker about the latest news in the industry!