As smartphones of all stripes continue to look and function more like the trendsetting iPhone, the content that can be delivered to these on-the-go devices becomes more important. YouTube turned the severing of the Apple apron strings into an opportunity and recently announced the launch of its new app for iPhone.
Although the new app will feed iPhone viewers an ad before they can watch their chosen tube candy of choice, the monetization of the YouTube mobile experience opens the doors for content that had not been available in previous versions of the pre-loaded app.
In addition to more content, the new app improves the discovery experience, especially for YouTube fans who are well tapped in to the video site. By swiping your finger to the right, viewers will be able to check out a new YouTube channel guide, which will highlight all of their subscribed channels, giving them easier access to the content they care about most. It’ll also let them flip through related videos, comments, and more videos — even while they’re watching one on their iPhone. The new app also has an improved search experience, with autofill to give users suggestions while they enter search terms. — From TechCrunch 9-11-12
What improvements are you hoping for with the iPhone5?
Come back to this post later in the day, as it will be updated after the announcement.
Image Credit: Shutterstock / Ganko
The answer to all of the questions is a resounding YES and so much more. All of the leaks leading up to the unveiling were right on target.
- Glass and aluminum body
- 18 percent thinner and 20 percent lighter
- 4-inch 16:9 Retina Display
- 44 percent better color saturation
- Ultrafast wireless (GPRS, EDGE, EV-DO, HSPA, HSPA+, DC-HSDPA, and LTE)
- Dynamic antenna
- A6 chip is twice as fast, smaller, and more energy-efficeint
- Improved battery life
- New cameras on both front and back
- A6 chip improves image processing
- Panorama mode
- FaceTime works over 3G
- Three microphones for improved voice recognition and call quality
- New “Lightning” dock connector can be plugged in without fussing with orientation
- And new “EarPods” to improve comfort and sound quality
Video via YouTube user urfunnyvideos
Even though I’ve had my iPhone 4S for only a few months, I have to admit that I’m seriously considering the upgrade. Will you be upgrading?