I’m assuming most of you are already somewhat familiar with StumbleUpon. For those who aren’t, Ann wrote a great post last year StumbleUpon Essential Basics A beginners Guide.
As most of you already know, StumbleUpon made some significant changes to the interface last year that weren’t received very well by the SU community. Besides changing the look and feel of SU, they made other major changes, including taking away the ability to share en mass to all of your StumbleUpon friends with only a couple of clicks. As shown by the screen shot below, on the new StumbleUpon if you want to share a piece of content with your SU comrades, you have to select each friend one by one and then hit “share now” once you have finally finished selecting all the friends you want to send to.
Needless to say, this takes way too much time and effort.
Now for the good news! There is still a way to share en mass, and I’m going to show you how in 3 simple steps.
- Goto SU.PR and create a shortened URL
- Open the shortened url in a web browser and click the “share” button on the su.pr toolbar.
- Click the “all” button at the top right hand corner, type in a message to your recipients and finally click the share now button.
Tips for success:
- Don’t spam your friends to high hell by sending them many mass shares per day. Moderation is key.
- Don’t mass share only your website or blog. Not only will this annoy your friends and make you look like a spammer, but it can also get you banned.
- Don’t make multiple social media request when you sending a share. i.e. “Hey can you Digg, Stumble, Reddit, mixx, prop del.icio.us and buzz?” Don’t do this unless you are in a hurry to piss people off. You are already sending the share, if your friends like what they see, they know what to do.
Now it’s not entirely clear if this is a temporary loophole that was leftover from the old StumbleUpon platform that will eventually be closed by the SU powers that be, or if it’s here to stay. Either way, now that you know how it’s done please don’t abuse this power.
Please share your thoughts, opinions and insights in the comments below.