Chris literally wrote the book on landing page testing, having recently published a book titled ‘You Should Test That: Conversion Optimization for More Leads, Sales and Profit.’
I began the interview by asking Chris where companies are going wrong when it comes to landing page testing. Hear what he has to say in the video below:
Here are some key takeaways from the video:
- Chris says companies are relying too heavily on the “so-called” best practices for landing pages that they read on other blogs and applying it to their website without doing any testing.
- A big mistake Chris has been seeing recently are rotating image carousels on the home page. Chris says this kills conversions and every time he’s tested them they lose.
- Another huge mistake Chris talks about is the 5-year website redesign cycle where companies start over with a fresh website design every few years. A better way to go about this is to be constantly testing your website and making changes based on what visitors respond to.
- When redesigning your website, Chris says to focus on your message and communicate it as clearly as possible. This is what gets the best results. Don’t fall into the trap of becoming too enamoured with shiny objects and the latest web design trends.
- Your homepage needs to answer the question: “What’s in it for your customer?”Communicate the answer clearly. Visitors care more about getting their problems solved than your latest blog post, Chris says.
Please visit SEJ’s YouTube page for more video interviews.
Subscribe to SEJ
Get our weekly newsletter from SEJ's Founder Loren Baker about the latest news in the industry!