I have been recently sent a book by three prominent bloggers and marketers: Anna Talerico, Justin Talerico and Scott Brinker, founders of IONinteractive. The book is “Honest Seduction: Using Post-Click Marketing to Turn Landing Pages into Game Changers” (note: I am linking to the blog post about the book because Amazon link is ugly and also I don’t want you to think I am selling anything).
The book is compiled of the authors’ blog posts from 1999 to 2008. The main idea behind the book is that the first click is more about fortuity, while the real marketing starts after the first click is done: hence “post-click marketing” term coined by the trio (“post-click” term describes everything that happens after the first (paid) click).
Here are a few key points to think about:
- 95-97% of visitors leave the site without converting (what if these are your best prospects?).
- In web marketing it’s the pitch, not the hits that counts (traffic vs visitors’ engagement).
- It is possible that your competitors could be generating five times the ROI as you are with comparable messaging and spending (according to Compete).
- To make the most of your post-click efforts, create a conversion path (unlike a landing page where a web surfer can go in almost any direction, the conversion path presents the visitor with a set of carefully selected options).
- Match the message to the click (avoid “Big Disconnect” where a visitor clicking can’t find what has been promised to him).
- Leverage social media on your landing pages: engage your prospects immediately after the first click and let them view your brand more favorably.
- Leverage rich media: it can boost landing page conversions.
The book contains numerous examples and case studies as well as well-tested approaches. All in all, I don’t say you must have this book until you check out the blog it is based on. Check it out and let me know what you think!