We’re the Search Engine Journal. We’ve been covering the search industry and digital marketing world since 2003 with in-depth and actionable guides, tips, trends, and insights – plus breaking news and analysis from our team and hundreds of expert industry practitioners. We serve 3 million monthly pageviews, 1.7M visitors, and half a million social followers.
We are looking for a full-time, in-house copywriter to write and edit compelling, high-converting copy for various editorial and marketing projects. On the editorial side, that means writing and editing content for our newly-launched Branded Content studio. And on the marketing side, you’ll be working on copy and messaging for all sorts of digital content, including mobile, video, social, and more.
Skills and Qualifications
- 4+ years experience of professional copywriting and structural editing.
- 4+ years of experience working in-house or for an agency as part of a marketing or editorial team.
- Portfolio of high-converting copy with a demonstrated ability to make an emotional connection and inspire readers to take action.
- Ability to work independently and with a team to meet deadlines.
- Strong creative thinking skills and ability to think conceptually.
- Excellent writing, editing, and proofreading skills with a diligent eye for detail, language, flow, and grammar.
- Strong business and email etiquette.
- Excellent organizational skills and process orientation.
- A bachelor’s degree in English, Journalism, Marketing, or Communications, or equivalent experience.
- SEO or digital marketing experience/topic knowledge.
- Experience working with content management systems, e.g., WordPress.
- Familiarity with AP style.
- A keen eye for detail and appreciation of how copy and design work together to inspire conversion.
Responsibilities and Duties
- Write high-conversion sales and marketing copy for various digital media, including mobile, video, and social, across landing pages, promos, articles, and more.
- Edit work to meet high editorial standards across all content and channels.
- Collaborate with sales, editorial, and marketing to assess project needs and help with messaging.
- Drive brand consistency across all communications.
- Ensure adherence to brand guidelines.
- Stay current on trends and competitors within the editorial sphere.
- Working with clients to create and modify copy to meet their content expectations.
- Continually raise the bar on creativity, writing fresh copy that connects with the desired audience and drives action.
Why Work For SEJ?
- Full-Time Remote. You will be working from home in your pajamas, or whatever you want to wear.
- We Manage By Execution Or Goals. So long as you get your work done, we’re happy campers.
- Complete Work/Life Balance. We want you to be operating at 100% capacity, which means you need to rest. If you’re routinely working more than 45ish hours, you’re gonna get a friendly talking-to.
- You Can Be Yourself. You don’t have to put on a fake, professional face. You can just be yourself.
- Significant Opportunities For Career Growth. We are not trying to be a small business. We promote quickly once we identify talent. It doesn’t matter what your credentials are – it matters what you get done.
- Strongly Anti-BS. Anybody in the company can (and is expected to) tell the CEO when she is wrong. There are no bureaucratic or BS rules getting in the way of getting work done.
- No Micro-Management. We’re pretty hands-off once you’re trained and have demonstrated that you know your stuff. If you need external management to stay on-task and motivated, we probably aren’t the place for you.
- Supportive Environment. We don’t operate via intense stress or unreasonable top-down deadlines. Everyone wants you to be successful – internal politics are at a minimum here.
- No Toxic People Allowed. We try very hard to screen people to be the best fit for our team. Imagine working with people who want to see you succeed instead of tearing you down – how nice would that be?
- We’ll Invest In Your Training. We want you and everyone to get better constantly. You’ll be learning new things and are strongly encouraged to invest time every day to learn new things, improve your system/work process, and make your life easier.
Status: Full-Time | Salary: $80,000 – $90,000 | Location: Remote (U.S. or Canada based)
The above is intended to describe the general content of the requirements for the performance of this job. It is not to be construed as an exhaustive statement of essential functions, responsibilities, or requirements.
How To Apply
If this sounds like the opportunity you have been searching for, you can apply by sending your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.