We are Search Engine Journal (owned by Alpha Brand Media), the leading publication dedicated to covering the search industry and digital marketing world since 2003 with in-depth and actionable guides, tips, trends, and insights – plus breaking news and analysis from the Search Engine Journal team and hundreds of expert industry practitioners. We serve 3 million monthly pageviews, 1.7M visitors and half a million social followers.
We are looking for a rockstar Email Marketing Manager to manage and grow the most important channel we have at Search Engine Journal, our email. Our subscribers are our most valued readers and we want more. That’s where you come in.
This role is responsible for developing, maintaining and growing our email list, and actively reducing churn. This includes strategy, testing, overall layout, and implementation of direct email campaigns. The role will quality check and proofread emails for clarity, grammar, and spelling, and ensure they meet the overall company voice and tone for the proper audience.
As part of the marketing team, this position works closely with design and development teams on templates and graphics to ensure emails meet our brand guidelines. The role must stay up-to-date on email privacy best practices and follow industry policies and regulations.
The Email Marketing Manager is responsible for setting OKRs, analyzing campaign performance and implementing improvements, as well as regular reporting on metrics and sales/leads generated from email marketing efforts.
Skills and Qualifications
- Proven work experience planning, developing, and managing email campaigns and automation
- Proficiency in marketing automation
- Knowledge of Marketing, SEO, SEM and Google Analytics.
- Excellent written communication and copywriting skills
- Able to communicate clearly in the English language both written and verbal
- Familiarity with analytics and database tools
- Experience with Mailchimp
- Experience working within a publisher or media organization
Responsibilities and Duties
- Manage and build overall email marketing strategy
- Help identify target audience and grow our email list
- Design and implement direct email marketing campaigns
- Proofread emails for clarity, grammar and spelling
- Write newsletters for internal company emails and external sponsor emails
- Make the most of our ESP functionality, including templates, use of graphics, personalization and advanced features
- Ensure accurate communication with subscribers via email to minimize unsubscribes
- Segment lists based on behaviors like past email engagement and website interactions
- Stay up to date on email privacy laws and best practices to ensure compliance
- Analyze campaign performance and suggest improvements
- Report on sales revenue and leads generated from email marketing efforts
- Ensure emails follow industry policies and best practices
- Determine email marketing OKRs
- Develop and present regular reports
- Develop documentation and road maps for processes, A/B tests, and promotions that succeed through email
Why Work at SEJ?
- Full-Time Remote. You will be working from home in your pajamas, or whatever you want to wear.
- We manage by execution or goals. So long as you get a lot of work done, we’re happy campers.
- Complete Work/Life Balance. If you’re routinely working more than 45ish hours, you’re gonna get a friendly talking-to. We want you to be operating at 100% capacity, which means that you need to rest.
- You Can Be Yourself. You don’t have to put on a fake, professional face. You can just be yourself.
- Major Opportunities for Career Growth. We are not trying to just be a small business. We promote quickly once we identify talent. It doesn’t matter what your credentials are – it matters what you get done.
- Strongly Anti-BS. Anybody in the company can (and is expected to) tell the CEO when she is wrong. There are no bureaucratic or BS rules getting in the way of getting work done.
- No Micro-Management. Once you’re trained and have demonstrated you know your stuff, we are pretty hands-off. In fact, if you need external management to stay on-task and motivated, we probably aren’t the place for you.
- Supportive Environment. We don’t operate via intense stress or unreasonable top-down deadlines. Everyone wants you to be successful – internal politics are at a minimum here.
- No Toxic People Allowed. We try very hard to screen people to be the best culture fit for our team. Imagine working with people who want to see you succeed instead of tearing you down – how nice would that be?
- We’ll Invest in Your Training. We want you and everyone to get better constantly. You’ll be learning new things all the time, and are strongly encouraged to invest time every day to learn new things, improve your system/work process, and just generally try to make your life easier.
Status: Full-Time | Location: Remote
The above is intended to describe the general content of the requirements for the performance of this job. It is not to be construed as an exhaustive statement of essential functions, responsibilities or requirements.
How To Apply
If this sounds like the opportunity you have been searching for, you can apply by sending your resume to email@example.com or apply on LinkedIn.