Meta-search engines have grown in popularity on the web through the years and continue to grow in numbers, even in the current Google dominated search world.
Companies who create their own versions of meta-search engines must have given up on trying to compete with Google and the other top search engines, and instead take advantage of the API’s and technologies available via the big three or four search technologies, integrating that data into one interface with a unique spin on ranking or listings formats.
Here at SEJ, we’ve been featuring some of these metasearch engines; especially the new ones. But we won’t be able to cover them all (although we try).
So the best we could do is come up with a list of these meta-search engines, made up of metasearch startups and others have been around for quite some time now.
It is not, however, a comprehensive list, as we know that there are still more out there. If you know of other meta-search engines, please feel free to add them in the comments section!
What is a Meta-Search Engine?
Wikipedia defines a meta-search engine as a search engine that sends user requests to several other search engines and databases and aggregates the results into a single list or displays them according to their source.
- MetaCrawler – Uses innovative metasearch technology to search the Internet’s top search engines, including Google, Yahoo! Search, MSN Search, Ask Jeeves, About, MIVA, LookSmart and more. Search refinement available.
- Dogpile -Puts the power [of] all the leading search engines together in one search box to deliver the best-combined results. Toolbar download available.
- Mamma – “The mother of all search engines” – a discount and coupon code search engine.
- IxQuick – “The world’s most powerful metasearch engine,” includes universal power search, global search, and search refinement. Toolbar download available.
- kartOO – A visual meta search engine that instead of showing up traditional search results pages, displays a graphical map of search results. Honestly, I don’t get the point.
- Ithaki – Search various search engines and ranks results based on an internal ranking system.
- Seekz – A parallel web search engine that queries many of the Internet’s top search engines and displays results in groups with the most relevant website appearing first. Removes duplicate results as well.
- iBoogie – Puts documents with similar content or with related topics into the same group. Each group is assigned a label based on the content of the documents.
- Zuula – Provides search unaltered search results from various search engines giving users the chance to check them first before going to results from individual search engines. And it even remembers which search engine you have been to so you can easily switch back and forth. Sponsored links are separated.
- inCrawler – A metasearch engine and a web directory in one. Works like your traditional search portal where categories are displayed upfront just below the search toolbox.
- WindSeek – Pulls results from many of the major search engines simultaneously with lightning speed and accuracy.
- Seek2Day – Gathers results from 17 different major search engines and in a very quick way decides which information is most relevant to the user. The results are then presented in a comprehensive format.
- ez2Find – A global meta-search engine that searches AlltheWeb, Teoma, Google, Yahoo!, AltaVista, Wisenut, ODP, and MSN, parses the results, removes the duplicates, includes links to relevant directory categories (directory results from the Open Directory) and clusters the results. It then calculates result relevance by an algorithm that counts the number of times the link was found in the search engines and its position on them.
- Vroosh – VROOSH.com is a meta-search engine that also acts as a metacrawler utilizing fast parallel technology for speed and accuracy. Metasearch using Keywords in any language, use Advanced Search to search in a specific country or metacrawler for MP3,and FTP sites.
- qkSearch – calls itself a 3-in-1 meta search engine by providing clustering search, split search and blended search (not functional yet).
- TurboScout – search 21 search engines without retyping the search engine name. To limit your search into one search engine, all you have to do is enter your keyword and click on the name of the specific engine.
- FinQoo – the next generation meta search engine that lets you search, share and share summarize. It doesn’t have an about page yet though, so I’m wondering who is responsible for it. The Philippine flag is right up the search box, so it was probably made by some Filipino tech people.
- Polymeta – an intelligent and advanced meta-search and clustering engine that enables organizations and individuals to simultaneously search diverse information resources on the web with a common interface. Search results are merged, ranked and presented in relevance order. Uses a natural language processing and information retrieval algorithms in its query analysis and search result refinement.
- Unabot – Unabot is all-in-one meta-search site that allows the user to choose from hundreds of different search engines, directories, and indices to query.
- vPinPoint – is a parallel search engine that searches Google, Yahoo, MSN and Ask.
- Draze – crawls various search engines and let users compare search results.
- SearchSalad – Search Salad brings together results from the top search engines and also from the major review sites all in one place giving you the ability to see the top results from the major sites all at once. This combined with Search Salad’s customized search environment means that you see the best of what the web can offer regarding search.
- Clusty – Clusty queries several top search engines, combines the results, and generates an ordered list based on comparative ranking. This “metasearch” approach helps raise the best results to the top and push search engine spam to the bottom.
- AllPlus – searches four major search engines namely, Google, Yahoo, Live and Ask.
Featured Image: arnelsr via Depositphotos
Subscribe to SEJ
Get our weekly newsletter from SEJ's Founder Loren Baker about the latest news in the industry!