In an interview conducted at Pubcon 2013 in Las Vegas, Ross Jones of 2 the Top Design gives some tips for choosing the right WordPress theme for your business.
Ross Jones has been an SEO specialist even before Google was founded. Ross and his company have helped over 1000 businesses improve their websites and drive targeted traffic.
Ross knows that the right WordPress theme is not just about slick design, but how everything works together to improve your SEO.
Hear what Ross says you should look for in a great WordPress theme in the video below:
Here are some key takeaways from the video:
- While SEO-friendly WordPress themes are essential these days, Ross says you should be weary of any theme that’s trying to do too much on the SEO side.
- There are so many great SEO plugins available for WordPress that you shouldn’t need a theme that over-complicates itself with SEO features.
- Some issues Ross has seen with overly complex WordPress themes are integrated Google Authorship features that don’t work, SEO plugins conflicting with theme features, hard coded titles and descriptions, and free themes with hidden links.
- You can get free themes or inexpensive themes that work just fine, you just have to read up on them to know exactly what you’re getting.
- Ross recommends the Genesis framework from StudioPress, which comes with a number of different themes to choose from.
- Ross likes Genesis because of the number of themes available for it, as well as the fact that it has SEO features that play nicely with other SEO plugins.
If you have any questions after watching the video, for either myself or Ross, ask them in the comments section and we will do our best to respond to everyone! Please visit SEJ’s YouTube page for more video interviews from Pubcon 2013.
Subscribe to SEJ
Get our weekly newsletter from SEJ's Founder Loren Baker about the latest news in the industry!