There are mainly two questions your clients would want the competitor research to answer:
- What are my competitors doing to be (more) successful (than me)?
- Which (new) tactics used by my competitors can I consider for my link building?
Keeping that in mind you might want your report to also conform to the following criteria:
- It should be well-organized and easy to understand;
- It should contain only important information.
Here are essential steps to take when compiling the report on competitors’ link building tactics:
- Use your favorite backlink checking tools to compile the list of backlinks;
- Sort the links into two large groups:
- Links to home page;
- Deep links.
- Single out some notable tactics and create sub-groups, for example:
- Directory links;
- Sponsored ads;
- Blog reviews;
- Article distribution;
- Press release, etc.
(add a few example to each group).
- Calculate deep link ratio;
- Include your conclusions:
- How the above link building tactics can be characterized (in a couple of words)?
- What should be taken note of (Which tactics should be avoided? Which tactics might be considered and why)?
- What tactics prevail?
- What are the most frequent anchor texts used?
Anything to add? Please share your tips on competitors’ link building report.