The never ending quest for web sites to rank higher and higher in search engine results pages has resulted in a corresponding development of entire careers that support this goal.
For a number of years now, search engine marketing has been a viable career option for many thousands of people all over the world. In spite of its popularity however, there are many people who still do not know what search engine marketing is all about. Even those who have been doing it for many years may still not know all the techniques that make for highly effective search engine marketing.
If you are interested in starting a career in search engine marketing, or if you are already in the business and are looking for ways to increase and improve your current capabilities, there are a few things that you should keep in mind.
The following tips will not only improve your web site’s presence in the various search engine results pages, they will also help make your web sites achieve a level of credibility that is so important in this age of bogus web sites that focus too much on search engine optimization at the expense of content. These are precisely the types of web pages will ultimately turn away the audiences that you are trying to draw in.
- The most important thing that you should do is to make sure that your web sites conform to any standard requirements. Of all the millions of users on the Internet today, not everyone uses the same browser or even the same operating systems on their computers. Remember that search engine marketing is all about pulling in your audience and if your website cannot be viewed, that could be a potentially huge segment of your market that you are missing out on. The Internet audiences of today can be a very unforgiving lot, and if you cannot deliver the content that they seek when they need it, they will most likely just turn elsewhere. Make sure that every single image or block of text on your web site is viewable over a wide range of browsers and computer operating systems. The only way to do this is of course by testing them extensively before you place them online.
- Stick to proven ethical techniques in your goal of attaining high search engine results page rankings. While utilizing methods such as link farms and keyword spamming will possibly get you favorable rankings at the outset, these techniques are frowned upon by search engines and your web sites will likely be booted off eventually.
- When you use traditional methods to get high search engine rankings, it may take much longer before you can see appreciable results–perhaps weeks or even months–but using them will give you the advantage of increasing your credibility and help give your web sites a reputation as a reliable authority in that particular field.
- All the same, while traditional and time proven methods are the best way to go, you should also strive to keep updated on new techniques that keep your search engine marketing efforts current and competitive.
- Spend a lot of time working on your copy. This aspect cannot be emphasized enough. Copy of course translates directly into content and that is after all what you are here to provide. For your particular target audience, make sure that you provide a number of different articles, all of them informative and relevant. Avoid resorting to fluff or content that relies heavily on keywords without offering much actual substance. A good rule of thumb is to have at least one 200 world article on each of your web site’s pages. This will give the various search engine spiders enough content to index.
- It is important to choose a theme for your web site and stick to it. This means that every aspect of your web site should support the theme that you have chosen and reflect that theme adequately. This goes for elements such as your logo, your site design and even such things as color, which you may not have thought to focus on at all. Of course content is a key as we have already mentioned earlier, and the liberal use of effective and relevant keywords will go a long way in contributing to your web sites effectiveness.
- Finally, the other side of the coin to your search engine marketing career is your client. At certain points in your career, you have to stop focusing on sales and acquiring new clients and instead keep your current client’s success in mind. Do everything you can possibly do in your power to help ensure the success of your clients and you just may end up building some long term business relationships in what will hopefully be a personally and financially rewarding search engine marketing career.
Mikhail Tuknov is an experienced search engine marketer and offers diverse search services from Infatex.com