Over the last three years Instagram has not only become one of the most dominating social media services, it’s also become one of the most popular websites in the world. In fact, Instagram has been listed as the 21st most popular site in the U.S. – 41st globally. But, does that really matter? After-all, the site was Facebook’s largest acquisition, and in case you didn’t know, Facebook is kind of a big deal.
Being under the Facebook umbrella has only increased Instagram’s popularity. After joining the social media juggernaut in April 2012, the Instagram community grew to 80 million users by July. And, that number is constantly growing.
Today, Instagram isn’t just used to post selfies. It’s becoming an assist for brands to reach more visitors (thanks to sponsored photos and videos), researchers to discover the happiest city in the UK, celebrities to post all the hijinks at awards like the Golden Globes and to even get pumped for the NFC Championship Game between the San Francisco 49ers and Seattle Seahawks by comparing quarterbacks. The point? There really doesn’t seem to be any discrepancy amongst Instagram users. It’s a great tool for anyone to use and enjoy.
Between being able to share Instagram images on your Facebook, Twitter, Tumblr and Flickr accounts, and the implementation of Instagram Direct (which allows users to send photos only to a specific user or group of users, much like Snapchat), it’s a safe bet that the photo-sharing, video-sharing and social networking site is only going to get bigger and stronger as time goes on.
If you’re not up to date on your Instagram knowledge, here are 30 things that you absolutely need to know about Instagram.
1. While working at Nextstop, a a trip-recommendation site that was later acquired by Facebook, founder Kevin Systrom came up with an idea for a “HTML5 mobile web app that let you: Check in to locations, Make plans (future check-ins), Earn points for hanging out with friends, post pictures, and much more.” Despite raising $500k from Baseline and Andreessen Horowitz in two weeks, people enjoyed the photo-sharing aspect of Burbn. Today, Burbn is just a footnote with an abandoned Twitter feed.
2. Prior to working for Nextstop, Kevin Systrom was offered a job at Google and interned at Odeo, where Twitter was developed. In 2004, Mark Zuckerberg offered Systrom an opportunity to join Facebook. Systrom turned the offer down and later received a cool $500 million after Facebook acquired Instagram for $1 billion in April 2012.
3. Co-founder Mike Krieger was born in São Paulo, Brazil and met Kevin Systrom while both were attending Stanford.
4. Instagram officially launched on October 6, 2010 as an iPhone app. Within one month, it gained 1 million users. It took Foursquare and Twitter 2 years to reach that milestone.
5. As of January 2014, Instagram has 150 million active users, 16 billion photos shared, 1.2 billion likes daily, 55 million photos posted daily and 7.3 daily visitors.
6. To compete with Twitter’s Vine, Instagram released a 15 second video component to their platform on June 20, 2013. Within the first 24 hours, 5 million videos were uploaded. However, Fortune 500 companies have been reluctant to adopt video. Only 4% of adopted video thus far.
7. Thursday is the most common day for Fortune 500 companies to post. However, Sunday is the most effective. The best time to post a video is during off-hours (9pm-8am EST).
8. The 10 most popular brands currently (January 2014) on Instagram are: Nike, Starbucks, NBA, adidas Originals, TopShop, Forever 21, Vans, NFL, Michael Kors and GoPro.
9. The top 10 most-shared brands on Instagram video—which does not count music/TV/film entertainers—with share stats from Sept. 9 to Oct. 9:
- MTV — 134,110
- NBA — 68,463
- Peanuts — 43,227
- GoPro — 35,097
- Miami Heat — 28,465
- Wendy’s — 23,833
- Topshop — 23,347
- Starbucks — 22,035
- ABC — 21,782
- HBO’s Girls — 21,769
- National Geographic - 3,726,303
- Victoria’s Secret – 3,640,340
- The Ellen Show – 3,483,363
- Nike – 3,166,010
- Forever 21 – 2,446,839
- Louboutin – 2,062,447
- 9GAG – 2,024,096
- Starbucks 1,919,068
- MTV – 1,916,114
- NBA – 1,777,980
11. During August 2013, the average Instagram user spent 257 minutes on Instagram. During that same period, the average Twitter user spent 169.9 minutes on Twitter.
12. As of October 2013, 35 million selfies have been posted on Instagram. In case you really had to know, Kylie Jenner is the celebrity with the most amount of selfies. As of October, she had posted 451 selfies.
13. On average, for every 33 likes, you’ll receive one comment. Additionally, there are 8,500 Likes per second and 1,000 comments per second.
14. The most popular filter? No filter.
15. Mayfair was the filter with the most amount of likes and comments.
16. The most-used hashtag of 2013: #love
17. Over 60% of the Instagram community are located outside of the United States. However, the U.S. remains the country with the most amount of visitors with just over 33%. The U.S. is followed by Brazil (5.6%), United Kingdom (3.8%), Russia (3.5%) and Mexico (3.2%).
18. Over 90% of Instagram users are under the age of 35, with 28% of users in the 18-29 year old age bracket.
19. 23% of teens have claimed that Instagram is their favorite social media network.
20. Percent of all US cell phone users on Instagram: 13.
21. 68% of users are female. For overall interest users, it’s 16% women vs 10% men.
23. 17% of U.S. adult residents who live in urban areas use Instagram. 11% of users are in rural areas, with another 11% in the suburbs.
24. Despite originally appearing only on the iPhone, and being named App of The Year 2011 in Apple iTunes, the Instagram app is divided 50/50 between Apple and Android users.
25. Percent of internet users who are on Instagram: Caucasian: 11%, African American: 23% and Hispanic: 18%.
26. 9 out of 10 Instagram video shares take place via Facebook.
27. There is an increase in Likes by 24% if the dominant color of the image is blue.
28. The busiest day on Instagram in 2013: Thanksgiving/Hanukkah.
29. Annual Household Income for Instagram users:
- Less than $30,000 – 15%
- $30,000 to $49,999 – 14 %
- $50,000 to $74,999 -12%
- $75,00o+ – 12%
30. Believe it or not, 37% of Instagram users have never uploaded a photo. 25% of users upload an average of 1-3 photos, while 5% have uploaded more than 50 images.
Whew.That’s a lot of information to store, but it will be worth it when you you want to impress that Instagram find in your life, or during a trivia night.
Which Instagram fact are you going to use the next time you want stump someone?
Featured Image Credit: Wikipedia