Content is essential for SEO. It is – and will continue to be – one of the most important organic search ranking factors.
Now that we’re in the age of content explosion, churning out and distributing multitudes of content has never been more convenient.
But if you are particularly looking to improve your visibility in search engines, you have to know what kind of content you should be creating.
So which content type is the most effective for bringing website traffic?
We asked our Twitter community to find out what trends they’re seeing. Here’s how they responded.
What Type of Content Most Effectively Attracts Traffic?
According to SEJ’s Twitter audience:
- Written content is the most effective type of content for attracting website traffic – with 40.4 percent of respondents saying so.
- 34.3 percent view video content as the most effective content form in driving traffic to their website.
- Visual content is the top traffic-generator for 25.3 percent of the respondents.
- None of them have found success in using audio content to attract website traffic.
Understanding How SEO & Content Work Together
Content is important for SEO. But not just any content will do. You need to create high-quality content that is useful and informative to searchers. As Google puts it:
“Creating compelling and useful content will likely influence your website more than any of the other factors…”
No matter what type of content you decide to use, creating a high-quality piece should be your paramount consideration. If you are providing relevant and engaging content to your users, search engines will take notice.
There are so many things you can do to optimize your content for search. Check out this list of articles from our SEJ contributors to learn helpful content optimization tips:
- How to Evaluate the SEO Value of a Piece of Content
- 10 Content Types That Will Boost Your Traffic
- 21 Quick & Dirty Content Marketing Tips for More Traffic & Conversions
Have Your Say
Which type of content is most effective for driving traffic to your website? Tag us on social media to let us know.
Be sure to have your say in the next survey – check out the #SEJSurveySays hashtag on Twitter for future polls and data.
Chart created by Shayne Zalameda
Subscribe to SEJ
Get our weekly newsletter from SEJ's Founder Loren Baker about the latest news in the industry!