Infospace Launches GPS Based Mobile Local Search
InfoSpace is introducing a group of mobile local search products that mobile phone carriers can integrate to enable subscribers to search and find nearby restaurants, movie times, maps and driving directions. Infospace provides nearly half of the mobile content sold in North America and brings content and services to every major carrier, reaching 90 percent of U.S. mobile customers.
Kelsey Group‘s Greg Sterling comments the new Mobile Local Search offering is built upon GPS technology. “Leveraging its carrier relationships and InfoSpace/Switchboard content/search assets, the app uses GPS and other methods to locate users and offer a range of local services.”
InfoSpace detailed the new Mobile Local Search offering in their announcement : “Search is important to the future of mobile usage,” said Joe Herzog, InfoSpace Director – Emerging Products. “With deep roots in mobile content, search and directory services and top-tier carrier relationships, InfoSpace is well positioned to lead the market.”
Herzog added that mobile local search is distinctly different from the conventional Web browsing that search engines have provided to the mobile market for local information. “The key is to truly think locally, and factor in time and location,” he said. “Consumers will increasingly look to their mobile device for answers to questions like ‘What is there to do nearby on a Friday night after 8 o’clock?’ With our location-based products, we are catering to people on the go–in search of restaurants, a movie, or other local information.”
The new InfoSpace Mobile Local Search services support all data-enabled mobile phones, with users pinpointing their location through automated GPS or location systems, zip code, address, intersect, or preset entries. The services include:
* Local Quick Clicks(TM): Find local business listings and locations with maps and driving directions with minimal clicking.
* One-Stop Searching: A single search location for Yellow Pages, White Pages, Maps, Directions, Movie Listings and more.
* Find People by Name or Number: Search using only first and last name, or by entering a phone number to find out to whom it belongs.
* What’s Nearby: Access details on what’s close with one click on the phone, even if the caller doesn’t know exactly where they are.
* Click to Connect: Make phone calls with one click instead of dialing the entire number.