Firefox 1.0 Available Today
Firefox 1.0 (Preview Release) is now available. If you’ve never tried this wonderful browser it’s MORE THAN worthy of your attention. What’s new in this release?
– Improved pop-up blocker: new pop-up blocker blocks even more pop-ups while making it easy to view pop-ups when necessary.
– Security improvements: the new release provides additional protection to users against spoofing attacks. When a user visits a secure site, Firefox now highlights the web site address and clearly displays the name of the web site. Firefox also includes a number of other security improvements and fixes, several of which were identified as part of the Mozilla Foundation’s new Security Bug Bounty Program.
– Live Bookmarks let users view RSS feeds in their bookmark files.
– Plugin finder service: Firefox now includes a plugin finder service that makes it a breeze to install plugins, starting with the Macromedia Flash Player for Windows. Additional plugins will be added in the coming weeks.
– Improved searching within web pages: Firefox now highlights search terms when the user is looking for keywords within a page.
Gary Price is the Editor of ResourceShelf and a Washington, DC Librarian.