A WordPress plugin brought to you by Search Engine Journal.
As someone who is constantly surfing the web, either for work or just because I’m an addict, I’ve become a big fan of infographics. And, I’m far from the only person who’s found infographics to be an educational, entertaining, and useful tool. Within the last decade infographics have become an increasing trend. In fact, from 2010 to 2012, infographic search volumes have increased over 800%. Suffice it to say, that’s an outstanding trend. But, what exactly are infographics and should you use them?
For the uninitiated, infographics “are graphic visual representations of information, data or knowledge intended to present complex information quickly and clearly”. In other words, an infographic collects data, organizes it, and turns this information into an easy to understand visual, such as a chart or map. So, why and how can these graphs be beneficial?
Studies have found that 90 percent of the information that we remember is based on visual impact. Include that tidbit with the fact that we live in an age where 1.5 billion pieces of content, 140 million tweets, and 2 million videos are created on a daily basis, and you can easily understand why a simple visual aid can make your brand stand out.
If you’re still on the fence regarding infographics, here are six other benefits of the popular resource.
- Infographics are more eye-catching than printed words, since they usually combine images, colors, movement, and content that naturally draw the eye.
- Since most of us have increasingly shorter attention spans, we tend to “scan” material as opposed to actually reading text. Furthermore, we tend to remember information that we’ve seen more so than read.
- Infographics are extremely shareable for use around the web. For example, an infographic published on a WordPress blog or website usually provides an embed code. This code allows an automatic link from the original site to yours. They are also easily shared on social networks and have a better chance of becoming viral compared to ordinary text.
- Infographics can be used to reinforce a brand, simply because they are so visually appealing. If you design an infographic with consistent colors, shapes, and messages, along with your logo, you’ll have an effective means of “Brand Awareness”.
- A well designed and aesthetically pleasing infographic will drive people to your site since they are more likely to “share” and “click” on it. Also, this can help with Google’s “Page Rank” algorithm, which is important for SEO.
- Finally, infographics are a fun and engaging medium that can generate a unique connection with visitors to either your site or a location that has featured your infographic.
It’s not everyday that you can utilize something that is not only visually pleasing , but also has the capability to spread your brand as it goes viral throughout the internet. If you’re still looking for some other examples, along with tips on how to design and develop an effective infograph, we suggest this article from Forbes, along with this wonderful piece by Jayson DeMers, “The Definitive Guide to Writing and Promoting a Viral Infographic”.
If you’ve used infographics in the past, we’d love to hear about your experiences.